Plant based diets
January 15, 2015
plant-based diet to follow. Some of them are:
l Pescatarian: elimination of all meat, but includes seafood
l Lacto-ovo: no meat, but yes to eggs and dairy
l Flexitarian: mostly veggies with situational meat eating
l Fruitarian: fruit, nuts, seeds and other plant matter that can be gathered without harming the plant
l Vegan: no meat, no eggs, no dairy and no processed foods containing the former and no animal-derived consumption
l Macrobiotic : includes unprocessed vegan foods, such as whole grains, fruits and vegetables; no sugar
or no refined oils, but allows the occasional consumption of fish
Examples of what they can eat:
- More leafy greens and veggies and fruits. Vegetable lasagna, grilled zucchini and eggplants.
- Split Pea soups, Navy bean soup
- Whole grain spaghettis with homemade tomatoes and sweet pepper sauce
- Spaghetti Squash
- Perhaps Mac & cheese? Although it is made with milk.
- Szechuan green beans, spicy lentil soup
- Dal – stewed lentil or masoor dal with small orange halves
- Karhi – gram / chickpea flour fritters in a heated yogurt sauce with chilled yogurt /onion/cucumber sauce or raita
- Kabuli – rice layered with channa dal or large yellow dal
- Papri Chat – cooked whole chickpeas with potatoes and yogurt with spice
- Sheperd’s pies
Did you know jello has gelatin which is a meat based product?